PHOTO CREDITS: (foxsports.com)
The way the UFC has become recently, everyone focuses hype on Conor McGregor. The current featherweight champion was originally supposed to battle Rafael Dos Anjos for the lightweight championship on March 5th, but Dos Anjos had to pull out due to injury. With about 11 days to go, Nate Diaz entered the fight. Not at featherweight or lightweight, but a 170 pounds.
But, some may have forgotten, or maybe just don’t care. But the UFC 196 card is being co-headlined by the women’s bantamweight champion, Holly Holm. And #2 Miesha Tate.
This matchup particularly intrigues me. These are two very talented women in this division. Holly Holm is coming off possibly the biggest upset in UFC history. We all know how it went, with Rousey taking a hard enough kick to the face that it knocked her out cold. Holm came out of nowhere with gorgeous technique and she took her time with Ronda until the fight ended.
Her opponent, is a very talented female athlete that has been shadowed by Rousey’s dominance. Already with a shot at Ronda, Tate gave Rousey the hardest challenge of her career before Holm came along. It seems like the multiple losses to the former champ sort of hid the fact that Meisha Tate is one of the best women to ever step in the Octagon, if you like it or not.
Tate is riding on a four-fight winning streak over Jessica Eye, Sara McMann, Rin Nakai, and Liz Carmouche – all by decision. This may be Tate’s final shot at a title, and if she loses, we might see the end of “Cupcake”.
This Saturday’s card will be epic to say the least. Below is the official fight card for UFC 196 in Las Vegas.
UFC FIGHT PASS PRELIMS:
- J. Erosa vs T. Ishihara – featherweight
- J. Saggo vs J. Salas – lightweight
- D. Sanchez vs J. Miller – lightweight
TSN 2 PRELIMS:
- D. Elkins vs C. Skelly – featherweight
- V. Miranda vs M. Guimaraes – middleweight
- E. Silva vs Nordine Taleb – welterweight
PPV MAIN CARD:
- A. Nunes vs V. Shevchenko – women’s bantamweight
- C. Anderson vs T. Lawler – light heavyweight
- G. Villante vs I. Latifi – light heavyweight
- H. Holm vs M. Tate – women’s bantamweight title
- C. McGregor vs N. Diaz – welterweight